Each year the North Carolina Chapter of the Special Libraries Association (NCSLA) sponsors the Sara Aull Student Award. This competition was initiated in 1981 to honor former member Sara Aull by promoting student participating in NCSLA. Sara Aull served as editor of the NCSLA Bulletin from 1975 to 1981. She had been an active member of the Special Libraries Association from 1952 (then as Science Librarian at the University of Houston in Texas) until her death in January 1998 in Landis, NC. In 1973 Sara Aull received the honor of being inducted into the SLA Hall of Fame.
Recipients of the Sara Aull award will receive the following:
- Appointment to an NCSLA committee, chosen based on the student’s interest and the organization’s need, beginning in January 2013.
- A year of paid student membership to SLA, NCSLA, and a division of their choice
- Free entry into NCSLA events for the length of their student appointment, up to one calendar year
- Applicants must be students enrolled in a North Carolina graduate Library Science program, with a graduation date of May 2013 or later.
- Applicants must be available to serve as a committee member of NCSLA for a term of one year or a minimum of one semester for students graduating in May.
- Prepare a written statement no longer than 500 words that answers the following questions:
v What is the value of participating in NCSLA and how it will contribute to your professional development?
v What contributions can you make to the profession through your participation in NCSLA?
- Submit a current resume or curriculum vitae that includes information on the applicant’s organizational and leadership experience (including any offices held and involvement in any special projects or services) and any other relevant professional information.
Submit the above documents in PDF, Rich Text Format (RTF) or Microsoft Word files by email to Billy Cook at email@example.com.
**Applications must be received by Monday November 26, 2012**
Applications will be reviewed by the award committee and the recipient of the award will be announced at the NCSLA Annual Banquet on December 3, 2012.