Vacancy Type Non TT Faculty
Is Internal Transfer Only No
Time-Limited Appointment Length No
If Yes, Appointment Length
Working Title Librarian – Associate Head, Access & Delivery Services
Anticipated Hiring Range Competitive salary in recognition of applicable education and experience
Position Number 00007545
Work Schedule M-F, some evening/weekend (exempt position)
Department 250101 – NCSU Libraries
Job City & State Raleigh, NC
Primary Function of Organizational Unit
The NCSU Libraries serves as the gateway to recorded knowledge and information for the NC State community and its partners, offering a competitive advantage in attracting and retaining the best faculty and students to the university. For more information about the Libraries, please see http://www.lib.ncsu.edu/aboutthelibraries/
Essential Job Duties
The NCSU Libraries invites applications and nominations for the position of Associate Head, Access and Delivery Services. This management position provides a unique opportunity to participate in the development and delivery of key user services in a dynamic, customer-driven environment. The Associate Head, Access and Delivery Services:
• Shares management responsibility for the department; helps to envision the future and establish direction; aligns and manages resources; represents the department in the absence of the Head.
• Manages interlibrary, delivery, and collection inventory/maintenance services; supervises staff; facilitates digital and physical procurement and delivery of information resources; analyzes and improves workflows and processes to improve speed, effectiveness, and accuracy in fulfilling requests for items.
• Leads the development of a comprehensive Order-to-Delivery process with the goal of making any resource available to faculty and students when, where, and in whatever format they desire.
• Through the provision of excellent customer service, develops and fosters excellent relations with faculty, students, and other researchers.
• Captures and analyzes transactional and performance metrics to determine trends and develop strategies to improve performance; collaborates with library staff from other public service areas and Information Technology to develop technological solutions and improvements.
• Works with consortium partners (e.g., Triangle Research Libraries Network, UNC-system libraries) to provide materials in a rapid manner.
• Participates in library planning, serves on library-wide committees, task forces, and teams.
• NCSU librarians are expected to be active professionally and to contribute to developments in the field.
• ALA-accredited MLS or equivalent advanced degree in library or information science.
• Relevant professional experience, including recent interlibrary loan or document delivery experience.
Departmental Required Skills
• Demonstrated ability to lead and manage staff and processes/workflows; ability to manage budgets and align resources to support library goals.
• Strong knowledge of and facility with current and emerging technologies as they apply to resource sharing and delivery services (e.g., ILLiad, circulation systems).
• Demonstrated leadership potential with the ability to contribute to strategic initiatives and new directions.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills, interpersonal skills, and ability to provide exceptional service to a diverse clientele.
• Ability to work creatively, collaboratively, and effectively both as a team member and independently and to promote teamwork among colleagues.
• Capacity to thrive in an exciting, ambiguous, future-oriented environment and to respond effectively to changing needs and priorities.
• Demonstrated record of ongoing professional development and contribution.
Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education
Required License or Certification
Application, cover letter, resume, contact information for four current professional references
Job Open Date 06/21/2012
Must Be Open Until 07/06/2012
Is this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies? No
Proposed Hire Date 08/01/2012
AA/EOE. In addition, NC State welcomes all persons without regard to sexual orientation. Persons with disabilities requiring accommodations in the application and interview process please call (919) 515-3148. Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree verified at www.wes.org. Degree must be obtained prior to start date.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.